Red Fingerling Potato Salad With Shallot Scapes



I am spending the summer working on the loveliest organic farm in Bridgehampton, New York. I am in heaven. Yesterday, I brought home two pints of freshly dug red fingerling potatoes, spring onions with large red bulbs (nearly full grown onions, but with a milder taste), and shallot scapes. I was unfamiliar with shallot scapes until I discovered them on the farm, but I just adore them. They add flavor and texture to any salad and make a beautiful and funky table centerpiece with their striking long green stalks and little white flowers on the tips. This evening I whipped up a simple and, dare I say 'grown up',  potato salad to highlight these interesting ingredients. Sliced spring onions could certainly be substitutes for the scapes.

Ingredients

3 lbs fingerling potatoes (I used the red thumb variety), cut to desired size
1 small red onion, diced
2-3 scallion scapes with flowers, sliced thinly on diagonal (flowers for garnish)
1 handful fresh parsley, torn
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. white vinegar 
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
Salt and pepper

Method 

Place potatoes in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until potatoes are tender. Drain and let cool. In a medium - large sized bowl mix together remaining ingredients. Add potatoes and toss well. Adjust salt, pepper, oil, vinegar and mustard to taste. Garnish with shallot scape flowers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment